How To Fix Outlook Error Code 0x800ccc78?
Many users encounter the Outlook error code 0x800ccc78 when they try to connect to Microsoft Outlook or while using it. In some situations, the users come across the “unknown error” tag. In such cases, it might be impossible to diagnose the problem. In some other scenarios, users face the following error message while using Outlook:
Sending reported error (0x800ccc78): Unable to send the message. Please verify the email address…
As you can conclude from the above message, the Outlook error 0x800ccc78 is usually associated with the outgoing email messages. You might not face any issues with the incoming ones.
Reasons behind Outlook error 0x800ccc78:
Although there might be various reasons for the occurrence of the error 0x800ccc78, a couple of the common ones are explained below:
- Step : 1 The problem might have started with your ISP (Internet Service Provider). Your ISP is responsible for sending or receiving emails because they define the port values. For sending out email messages, the default port number has to be 25. But if your ISP blocks port number 25 and enables 587, the error 0x800ccc78 pops up.
- Step : 2 The issue might arise when the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication option is disabled. Therefore, you have to make sure that you enable this option.
Let us now plunge right into the solutions to rectify this error.
Method 1-Enabling the SMTP option:
If the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication option is disabled, the Outlook error code 0x800ccc78 might pop up. To enable this option, make use of the following steps:
- Step : 1 On your computer/device, launch Outlook. From the top menu bar, choose Tools.
- Step : 2 From the displayed options, select Account Settings.
- Step : 3 NOTE: At times, you will have to click the File Menu to reach Account Settings.
- Step : 4 In the Account Settings window that displays next, click the E-mail tab.
- Step : 5 The Add New E-mail Account window will now pop up. In the window, click on the More Settings button.
- Step : 6 On the Internet E-mail Settings screen that displays next, select the checkbox next to the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication option.
- Step : 7 Next, choose the Use same settings as my incoming mail server option.
- Step : 8 Now, click on the OK button.
- Step : 9 Restart Outlook and try sending your email once again.
Method 2-Setting the Port Number to 587:
When you find that your ISP has changed the port number for outgoing emails, you need to modify it on your Account Settings. Follow these instructions to do the same:
- Step : 1 On your computer/device, launch Outlook. Click Tools on the menu bar.
- Step : 2 Next, select the Account Settings option. In some versions of Outlook, it might be labeled as Email Account Settings.
- Step : 3 You will find that the Account Settings window pops up. In this window, click on the Change button.
- Step : 4 Click on the More Settings button and click the Advanced tab.
- Step : 5 For the Outgoing Server (SMTP) option, set the port number to 587. Then, click on the OK button.
- Step : 6 Finally, click Next followed by the Finish button.
You have now successfully fixed the Outlook error code 0x800ccc78.